||All individuals who perform the duties of a building official, inspector, or plans examiner must also possess an active Oregon Inspector certification. This certification is issued by the Building Codes Division (BCD) to demonstrate that a person has passed a division-approved examination that covers Oregon laws relating to state building codes, including, but not limited to architectural barrier laws governing accessibility to buildings by disabled persons.
|Statutes, Rules, Ordinances:
||3 years starting November 2010
|Fees - application, exam, etc.:
||Application fee After July 1, 2010 is $125.
||BCD - Certifications
Once the application is approved, the applicant will be notified and the exam will sent to the chosen proctor location. The applicant has 60 days to schedule and take the exam. Then proctor will return the exam to the division. Please give the division two weeks from the date of the exam to return the results.
If the applicant passes a certification number will issued
If the applicant fails, they must wait 30 days before retesting. The re-application fee is $80.00.
3 hour open book test with 52 questions.
Must receive a score of 75% or higher to pass the exam.
Oregon Revised Statutes Chapters
Oregon Revised Statutes Chapters http://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/lawsstatutes/2013ors671.html and http://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/lawsstatutes/2013ors672.html relating to Architects and Engineers LawOregon Administrative Rules Chapter 918 Standards and Specifications for Accessibility to Disabled Persons (http://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/lawsstatutes/2013ors447.html) Administrative Chapters of the Oregon Residential Specialty Code (ORSC), Oregon Structural Specialty Code (OSSC) and Oregon Mechanical Specialty Code (OMSC).
|Continuing Ed Requirements:
||Oregon Administrative Rule 918-098-1450.
(1) When the division determines that a code change requires training for individuals to maintain their Oregon Inspector Certification they must complete division-approved continuing education.
(2) Required continuing education courses are established by the division on a periodic basis. The division will provide notification of code change classes and other required classes through the division website. Persons certified under ORS Chapter 455 must take all continuing education in a timely manner in order to remain certified.
(3) Inspectors, including plans examiners, must complete a division-approved code change course related to the scope of work allowed under each certification and all other high priority training determined necessary by the division.
(4) Persons charged by a municipality with the responsibility for administration and enforcement of the state building code as the building official must complete a division-approved course covering administration and enforcement of a building inspection program and new legislation when required. Any person in an żactingż capacity to cover building official duties must also complete this course.
(5) The division may periodically verify that a person is maintaining and recording their continuing education.
- Complete an application
- pay fee
All individuals who perform the duties of a building official, inspector, or plans examiner must also possess an active Oregon Inspector certification. However, the following Oregon Code Certification are exempt from the Oregon Inspector Certification requirement:
- Oregon Boiler Special Inspector
- Oregon Boiler Deputy Inspector
- Oregon Boiler Process Piping Inspector
- Oregon General Post Earthquake Inspector
- Oregon Limited Post Earthquake Inspector
- Oregon Elevator Inspector
- Oregon Prefab Component Inspector
Email registration for certifiation updates
Search License Holders
Duplicate license request
Agency Contact Information
Please refer to the Agency Website for further details and additional information.
||BCD - Certifications
DCBS - Building Codes Division
PO BOX 14470
Salem, OR 97309