Text only view
Oregon.gov Licenses, Permits and Registrations
Department of Consumer & Business Services
Detailed Information for: International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) License, Trucks & Buses
     Not the license you were searching for?
Click here to continue searching within the Oregon Licenses, Permits & Registrations directory.
Updated: 2/19/2014
Description: Oregon-based companies operating trucks and buses in other states and Canadian provinces participate in the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) and work with the Oregon Department of Transportation, Motor Carrier Transportation Division, to pay fuel taxes owed to the other jurisdictions. The companies pay an annual fee for an IFTA license and then submit quarterly reports showing mileage traveled and taxable gallons of fuel consumed (reports are also needed to document that there was no activity). Oregon collects the fuel taxes from the companies, allocates the taxes to the various jurisdictions, and audits the companies' reports for accuracy.

Oregon is not a fuel tax state. For trucks over 26,000 pounds, Oregon recovers highway-use costs through a weight-mile tax rather than a diesel fuel tax. But Oregon administers an IFTA program as a service to Oregon-based companies who operate in other states that do charge a fuel tax. The IFTA program is necessary because except by purchasing single-trip permits, these companies have no other way to discharge their fuel tax liability. They cannot individually file quarterly fuel tax reports and make payments to states and provinces.
Statutes, Rules, Ordinances: OAR CHAPTER 740, DIVISION 200
Duration: Annual
Fees - application, exam, etc.:  Annual fee based on the number of trucks that will operate under IFTA:
1 Truck - $280
2 Trucks - $295
3 Trucks - $310
4 Trucks - $325
5 Trucks - $340
6 Trucks - $355
7 Trucks - $370
8 Trucks - $385
9 Trucks - $400
10 Trucks - $415
11 Trucks - $430
12 Trucks - $445
13 Trucks - $460
14 Trucks - $475
15 Trucks - $490
16-20 Trucks - $525
21 Trucks and more - $575
Farm - $50 - Applies when more than half of the IFTA-qualified trucks are registered with Oregon as farm trucks.
  • IFTA license fees are charged for the whole calendar year, regardless of how short a time the company may operate during the year. Additional fees are necessary to Request Additional IFTA Decals
  • .
    Responsible Agency: ODOT - Motor Carrier Division
    Fee Exemptions: No fee for name change, if the ownership has not changed, or for change of address or phone number.
    Bonding Requirements: See Oregon surety bond rules OAR Chapter 740, Division 40
    Insurance Requirements: See Oregon insurance rules OAR Chapter 740, Division 40. Also, comply with other states' and provinces' requirements, when applicable.
    Service Links:  IFTA Web site
     Application for International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) License
    contact Agency Contact Information
    Required Documentation:
  • Indicate whether new account, reactivation of a closed or canceled account, or a change in an existing account. If the ownership has changed (for example, from an individual to a partnership or corporation), check the ownership change box and provide information requested about the previous account.
  • Indicate the effective date of the application. This will be the liability date and the company will owe tax returns from this date forward.
  • Enter the Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) or Social Security Number if there is no FEIN and this is an individual owner.
  • Enter the Oregon Tax File Number. If there is no existing weight-mile tax account with Oregon, a tax file number will be assigned.
  • Enter the Farm Identification Number, if applicable, or the number of a farm registration plate. You must include this number to qualify for the special $50 annual farm fee.
  • Complete the type of ownership and other company information.
  • For a new application, reactivation of a closed or canceled account, or ownership change, indicate the number of qualified trucks that will operate under IFTA. This is the number of pairs of decals needed. Determine the amount of annual license fees based on this number. Vehicles with a gross weight of 26,000 lbs. or less are not covered under IFTA unless they have three or more axles or are used in a combination that exceeds 26,000 lbs. gross weight. To qualify for the special $50 Farm fee for an IFTA license, more than half of the vehicles operating under IFTA must have Oregon farm registration plates (include the Farm Identification Number or the number of one of the farm plates in the space provided).
  • Additional Information: Put a copy of the IFTA license in each cab. Place IFTA decals on the exterior portion of passenger side and driver side doors. File quarterly IFTA Tax Return.

    For information, please contact the ODOT Motor Carrier Transportation Division:

    Motor Carrier Services / Offices & Staff

    Salem Headquarters - Motor Carrier Transportation Division
    3930 Fairview Industrial Drive SE, Salem OR 97302-1166
    Call: 503-378-6699
    Open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday - Friday
    Phone Service Center Open 24 hours / 7 days - 503-378-6699

    Field Office:

    Portland Bridge Office, I-5, Oregon/Washington border
    12348 N Center Avenue, Portland OR 97217-7871
    Call: 971-673-5900
    Registration services are available 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday - Friday

    Visit the ODOT Motor Carrier Division Web site for more about trucking in Oregon.

      Agency Information
    Please refer to the Agency Website for further details and additional information.
    Agency Name: ODOT - Motor Carrier Division
    E-mail Address: jennifer.coffin@state.or.us
    Phone: 503-378-5849
    Mail Address: Motor Carrier Transportation Division
    3930 Fairview Industrial Drive SE,
    Salem, OR 97302 - 1166
    Website Information: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/MCT/Pages/index.aspx

    Return to the Licenses, Permits and Registrations main page
    Website Policies  |  Licenses, Permits & Registrations Home  |  Oregon.gov