Text only view
Oregon.gov Licenses, Permits and Registrations
Department of Consumer & Business Services
Detailed Information for: Truck Temporary Pass
     Not the license you were searching for?
Click here to continue searching within the Oregon Licenses, Permits & Registrations directory.
Updated: 2/19/2014
Description: Trucking companies with vehicles over 26,000 lbs. that are conducting a single round trip through Oregon, or operating on a short-term lease agreement (10 days or less), obtain a $9 Temporary Pass and pay weight-mile (highway-use) taxes for the miles traveled in the state. The company declares the maximum weight at which the vehicle will operate during the 10 day period and pays the appropriate weight-mile taxes.

Want to go online to obtain a temporary pass? Companies that have established an Oregon account can use Trucking Online. Visit the Trucking Online Web site for more information. Need to establish an Oregon account? Go to the need a PIN page to get started.
Statutes, Rules, Ordinances: OAR 740-045
Duration: 10 consecutive days
Fees - application, exam, etc.:  There is a $9 fee for each pass issued. Companies also pay weight-mile tax for miles traveled in Oregon. Weight-mile tax is paid in advance based on the expected mileage to be traveled in Oregon. View Oregon Weight-Mile Tax Rates.

When a company makes additional trips within the 10 days allotted, the company must pay the applicable pass fee and additional weight-mile taxes. When a company is unable to complete the trip within the 10 days allotted, the company must purchase a new pass and pay the $9 fee plus applicable weight-mile taxes.

Companies that purchase temporary credentials and do not complete the trip, or find they over-declared the number of miles traveled, may be eligible for a tax credit. Temporary pass and trip permit fees are generally non-refundable, but companies can request a tax credit by completing Form 9758, Notice to Carriers Requesting a Credit on Temporary Credentials.
Responsible Agency: ODOT - Motor Carrier Division
Bonding Requirements: N/A
Insurance Requirements: Trucking company must certify that it has the required insurance. See insurance rules - OAR 740-040
Prerequisites: When the Motor Carrier Transportation Division issues a Temporary Pass, it checks if the trucking company has a U.S. DOT number and confirms the company's address of record.
Application Form: N/A
Service Links:  Trucking Online
contact Agency Contact Information
Required Documentation: The Temporary Pass must be carried in the truck while it is valid.
Additional Information: For information, please contact the ODOT Motor Carrier Transportation Division:

Motor Carrier Services / Offices & Staff

Salem Headquarters - Motor Carrier Transportation Division
3930 Fairview Industrial Drive SE, Salem OR 97302-1166
Counter Service: Open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday - Friday; closed on all State Holidays.
Telephone Service Center: Open 24 hours 7 days - 503-378-6699; closed at 5 p.m. on the eve of New Year's Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day and re-opens at 8 a.m. on the day following the holiday.

Field Office:

Portland Bridge Office, I-5, Oregon/Washington border
12348 N Center Avenue, Portland OR 97217-7871
Call: 971-673-5900
Registration services are available 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday - Friday

Visit the ODOT Motor Carrier Division Web site for more about trucking in Oregon.

  Agency Information
Please refer to the Agency Website for further details and additional information.
Agency Name: ODOT - Motor Carrier Division
E-mail Address: jennifer.coffin@state.or.us
Phone: 503-378-5849
Mail Address: Motor Carrier Transportation Division
3930 Fairview Industrial Drive SE,
Salem, OR 97302 - 1166
Website Information: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/MCT/Pages/index.aspx

Return to the Licenses, Permits and Registrations main page
Website Policies  |  Licenses, Permits & Registrations Home  |  Oregon.gov