Text only view
Oregon.gov Licenses, Permits and Registrations
Department of Consumer & Business Services
Detailed Information for: Truck Trip Permit - Heavy Vehicle Trip Permit
     Not the license you were searching for?
Click here to continue searching within the Oregon Licenses, Permits & Registrations directory.
Updated: 2/19/2014
Description: Trucking companies obtain a $43 Heavy Vehicle Trip Permit, valid for 10 days, when operating a power unit over 8,000 pounds, when they are based outside Oregon and the power unit is over 8,000 pounds with three or more axles, or when they're based outside Oregon and the power unit is over 26,000 pounds in combination, and the power unit doesn't have valid Oregon registration credentials, an Oregon Commercial plate, or Oregon listed on the base state apportioned cab card.

The Heavy Vehicle Trip Permit is normally issued by the Oregon Department of Transportation's Motor Carrier Transportation Division. Companies can use a home or office computer to obtain a Trip Permit via the Internet. Visit the Trucking Online Web site for more information.
Statutes, Rules, Ordinances: OAR 740-045
Duration: 10 consecutive days
Fees - application, exam, etc.:  $43

ORS 803.305 lists registration exemptions.
Responsible Agency: ODOT - Motor Carrier Division
Fee Exemptions: See above
Bonding Requirements: N/A
Insurance Requirements: Trucking company must certify that it has the required insurance.See insurance rules - OAR 740-040
Prerequisites: Trucks without current valid registration that are subject to federal Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT - IRS Form 2290) requirements, may purchase Trip Permits for no more than 60 days during a HVUT year (July 1 - June 30) without providing proof of HVUT.

Oregon-based truckers operating on temporary credentials must belong to a Drug/Alcohol Consortium and complete the Drug and Alcohol Testing Program Certification (Form 735-9759) and the certification must be made annually.
Application Form: N/A
Service Links:  Trucking Online
contact Agency Contact Information
Required Documentation: The Trip Permit must be carried in the truck while it is valid.
Additional Information: Motor Carrier Transportation Division

  Agency Information
Please refer to the Agency Website for further details and additional information.
Agency Name: ODOT - Motor Carrier Division
E-mail Address: jennifer.coffin@state.or.us
Phone: 503-378-5849
Mail Address: Motor Carrier Transportation Division
3930 Fairview Industrial Drive SE,
Salem, OR 97302 - 1166
Website Information: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/MCT/Pages/index.aspx

Return to the Licenses, Permits and Registrations main page
Website Policies  |  Licenses, Permits & Registrations Home  |  Oregon.gov