Text only view
Oregon.gov Licenses, Permits and Registrations
Department of Consumer & Business Services
Detailed Information for: Hunting License for Furbearers, Resident
  843: active as of 08/31/2012.   Not the license you were searching for?
Click here to continue searching within the Oregon Licenses, Permits & Registrations directory.
Updated: 1/29/2014
Description: Furtakers need only one (1) license. A Furtakers' License allows the holder to trap, hunt and pursue. A Hunting License for Furbearers allows the holder only to hunt and pursue.

"Furbearers or furbearing mammals" means beaver, bobcat, fisher, marten, mink, muskrat, otter, raccoon, red fox, and gray fox.

Similar Keywords: hunters, trappers, trapping, wildlife
Statutes, Rules, Ordinances: ORS 497.142
OAR 635-050
Duration: Refer to OAR 635-050-0060 to -0170
Fees - application, exam, etc.:  $22.00
License Requirements: Juveniles younger than 14 years of age are not required to purchase a license, except to hunt or trap bobcat and otter; but, they must complete the Trapper Education course and register to receive a brand number through the Salem Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife (ODFW) office.
Landowners must obtain a free license to take furbearers on land they own and on which they reside. To receive this license, the landowner must obtain from ODFW a receipt of registration for the location of such land prior to hunting or trapping furbearing mammals on that land.
Responsible Agency: Fish and Wildlife, Department of
Fee Exemptions: Refer to Oregon Furbearer Regulations
Examination Information: By action of the 1985 Oregon Legislature, all trappers born after June 30, 1968, and all first-time Oregon trappers are required to complete an approved trapper education course. The course is not required of persons trapping on land owned or leased by that person, the person's immediate family, or a person's agent who is controlling damage to livestock or agricultural crops. The course may be completed at home. Testing will take place at Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife (ODFW) offices throughout the state. A furtaker's license will be issued by the Salem ODFW office after the test has been successfully completed and mailed to Salem. Course materials are available by writing or telephoning Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, Trapper Education, 3406 NE Cherry, Salem, Oregon 97303, (503) 947-6018.
Continuing Ed Requirements: N/A
Bonding Requirements: N/A
Insurance Requirements: N/A
Prerequisites: See "Exam information"
Service Links:  Oregon Furbearer Trapping and Hunting Regulations
 Furtaker License Application
contact Agency Contact Information
Additional Information: Persons who were licensed, but did not fill out and return a completed furtaker harvest report form by April 15, will not be issued a furbearer harvest license for the following season.

  Agency Information
Please refer to the Agency Website for further details and additional information.
Agency Name: Fish and Wildlife, Department of
E-mail Address: ODFW.Info@state.or.us
Phone: 503-947-6000
Mail Address: Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
4034 Fairview Industrisl Dr.
Salem, OR 97302 - 1142
Website Information: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/

Return to the Licenses, Permits and Registrations main page
Website Policies  |  Licenses, Permits & Registrations Home  |  Oregon.gov